16 June 2011

Am I a Better Cook?


Only 6 more days of Foundations I. The first 5 weeks of school have flown by. As I reflect back, I asked myself, so am I a better cook than when I started, and secondly, is Le Cordon Bleu, going to help me achieve my long term goals?

The answer to the second question is easy; Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College provides a fabulous, albeit intense education for anyone looking to make a career in the food service industry. With over 100 years, Le Cordon Bleu provides a solid foundation in Gastronomy, and gives you the credentials to compete in an extremely demanding environment.

The answer to the first question is a bit complicated. My knife skills are much better, definitely important if you are planning to cook professionally, I have learned 7 classic French cooking techniques, necessary so you can properly cook any food that you are presented. I know how to convert a recipe that serves 4 people, 6-ounce portions, to a recipe that will feed a group of 150, 8-ounce portions. I understand what you need to do to protect your customers from food-born illnesses that could result from your mishandling of food. And I have a new found appreciation for the role the French have made to the culinary world.

So yes, I am a better cook, but I still have a long journey ahead. Like any art from you have to learn the basics first so you can build from there. Foundations I has taught me a lot of the fundamentals. I have been learning the music scales so I can play beautiful music later. I have learned a common language that can be shared and understood in any professional kitchen.

Foundations II, which starts after the Fourth of July, will be where I start building on these fundamentals. This is where I expect an immense jump in my ability to create culinary art.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment