16 May 2011

The Start of a New Journey


This morning I started my Culinary Arts Program at the Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College - the journey has begun. Chef Ron Costa is the instructor for my current classes, Culinary Foundations I and Food Safety and Sanitation. A former chef at Pebble Beach, Chef Ron has a self-deprecating sense of humor and nothing is sacred to him.

A good part of the class was spent going over everything from having good hygiene, brush your teeth, shave, shower, etc. to the proper way to wear the Le Cordon Bleu uniform. Amazing that you would have to tell adults to brush your teeth before coming to class.

Our first assignment is learning about the History and Evolution of French Cuisine, the kitchen brigade (kitchen organization based on Auguste Escoffier’s hierarchical system for members of the kitchen) and on classic potato cuts. Tomorrow we pull out our knives and practice butchering potatoes.

It is wonderful learning about the history of French Cuisine and I really am looking forward to honing (pun intended) my knife skills.

Not sure how often I will blog, or if anyone will ever read this, but I want to have a diary as I become The Charitable Chef.

4 comments:

  1. What an exciting journey Ted. I almost wish I was doing it too. : ) You will be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My peelings are mutual to Sherrys. PUN intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After learning how to make French fries please visit me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to following your journey into cheftom (is that a word?) This will be interesting. Is there really more than one way to peel a potato?

    ReplyDelete