13 August 2011

Alien Vegetable Discovered at Whole Foods

  
Recently we had to review an unusual vegetable or starch for Foundations II. If I was not looking for something atypical it is quite possible that when I saw this bizarre, alien looking vegetable, Broccoli Romanesco, at Whole Foods Market, I would have kept on walking. But luckily, I had the opportunity to introduce myself to a wonderful and delicious new treat.
 
Broccoli Romanesco is also known as Cauliflower Romanesco in North America. The French call it Chou Romanesco, which translates into Romanesco Cabbage, but it hardly resembles a vegetable from the cabbage family. The Italians call it Broccolo Romanesco. Botanists, trace it’s origins back to 15th century Italy where it resulted from selective breeding by Italian Farmers. It has gained popularity throughout the world, and can now be found in stores and restaurants in North America.

Raw, the Romanesco reminded me of cauliflower. It can be cooked in a similar fashion to cauliflower or broccoli. So, you can simmer, roast, sauté or steam the Romanesco.

I simmered mine in salted water for about 3 to 4 minutes until it was just al dente, and then tossed it with some butter and Himalayan Salt. It tasted similar to a mild, sweet broccoli with a nutty flavor. Next, I sautéed some shallots in butter with the Romanesco that had been quickly blanched, sautéing until the shallots were crisp and the Romanesco was al dente. This was absolutely delicious. Romanesco can make a tasty side dish on it’s own, but I can also see it being a superb addition to pasta.

So the next time you are looking for something different to serve, try some Broccoli Romanesco and let me know what you think.

Cheers

1 comment: